Tuesday 4 September 2018

Building Community

Today was really fun. I went into the drop in centre alone to do some cleaning, but as I walked by 2 of the kids were not in school because they were ill. I continued to the drop in centre to clean some of the outside. Then I sharpened some coloured pencils, grabbed some colouring sheets, UNO card game, a foldable small table & walked to the centre of the village.

The sick kids & I each coloured a picture. Then I asked if they wanted to play UNO. As we were playing UNO I asked one of the kids parents to join us. She was shy, but agreed. As I was teaching her she started having fun. The kids, mother & I were laughing as we played. Many adults came around us curious about what we were doing & ended up wanting to play. In the end 8 of us were playing at a time, the adults started playing with excitement & were laughing out loud.

What a great day building community!

I am a slow learner. When it rains in the evening the village is empty. No one can be found. So being flexible I am trying to come in the village when people are around.