Tuesday 10 January 2017

Listening, not just hearing

As I have been sitting and standing inline at immigration a thought came to mind. What an amazing ministry just waiting in line. Every time I come I am amazed at the foreigners that are also in line that come up to me and start a conversation. They usually start sharing practical life things but it usually doesn't take them long to talk about their deep struggles or their life's difficulty. I happly listen and usually don't share much but that my family and I are missionaries and I serve Thai kids at a local community centre
I have to be totally honest. When people first approach me and start sharing I look happy to listen, but inside am totally selfish and have a running conversation with God about how I just want to sleep in line. God listens to me and doesn't say much. His final words are always telling me that they need someone just to listen. I then change my attitude and happly listen for however long they need. 
So many people need a willing listening ear.
"My dear brothers and sisters, always be willing to listen and slow to speak... "James 1:19 NCV