Tuesday 16 September 2014

Prayer

Yesterday my Thai language class was interesting & a blessing. The had an opportunity to talk with 2 teachers at my language school who were not Christians about Christians & the life Jesus wants us to live in my broken Thai. With 1 teacher I was able to share the verse God gave me for my quiet time that morning; John 13:34 & she read it in Thai on my mobile phone.

I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. John 13:34 NRSV

“เราให้บัญญัติใหม่แก่ท่านทั้งหลายคือ จงรักซึ่งกันและกัน พวกท่านต้องรักซึ่งกันและกันเหมือนที่เราได้รักพวกท่าน ยอห์น 13:34

Then 1 of the teachers told me to go talk to the language school director who is a Christian. She was really stressed because the Immigration Dept. has changed the rules many times over the past couple of months. Visas are being cancelled & it's more difficult to get visas for foreigners. I listened to her talk for almost 30 minutes (in Thai & English) then I encouraged, thanked her for her desire to teach Christians Thai to serve her people & prayed for her.

Today I had 1 of my regular teachers at my Thai language school who is also not a Christian. During class she received a call from her mother saying that her father is in hospital & is in serious condition. I asked her if things are ok. She started to well up with tears & told me that her father is having very strong stomach pain, is vomiting & can't eat now for a couple of days. She asked me to pray for her father. She wiped her tears & told me that we needed to get back to class. As I we continued with class & was praying for her, her family & her father.

Thai culture is such a hard life. A society of not being allowed to express emotion.

The power of prayer. Please pray.