Wednesday 25 March 2015

Empty

The inner city community centre I volunteer at each week has a wooden cross at the peek of the roof. We play worship songs while we are open, we don't teach about Jesus, but talk about Jesus with them when the kids ask questions. 

This past couple of weeks the kids started saying that they did not want to colour the Bible colouring pages (I usually bring 1 Bible sheet with 3 other non Bible colouring sheets). When making fun bead bracelets or necklaces many of the kids tell us they don't want crosses or anything like that. I am totally ok if they don't want to colour or make things that have to do with Jesus. It's about building a relationship with them & when questions or difficulty comes, be there for them. 

2 weeks ago one of the kids asked if we could bring a Jesus movie for all the kids to watch. We told her we would sometime soon. So last night I did not tell the kids or anyone in the community. I made popcorn, brought our dvd player, a cartoon about Easter (life of Jesus) & no one showed up. Not even 1 child stopped by. It was very weird. I called Teresa after an hour of no one coming by. I stayed the rest of the time sitting outside praying for the community & the kids.

When I got home & talked with Teresa about it she reminded me about how in Mongolia the Buddhist lamas/monks would tell people to stay away from Christians because they would bring bad luck to them & their families. We are not surprised if this is the case here too.

 Please pray for this.