Thursday 21 August 2014

to love is to give, not to take

"Love" is shown best in the life of Jesus & specifically his death for us. Jesus did not come to be served, but to serve. And this is something that I wrestle with often:

to love is to give, not take or demand. If love is to give than as Jesus said the purpose is not self, but others.

"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. 1 John 3:16"

I have heard & seen pictures of the many missionaries that have given their lives in the countries I have been & deep down am thankful that as of yet God has not asked me to give my life. But honestly I think that I struggle more with every minute of each day having to make the conscious choice to love (give of myself & place myself aside) way more that the reality of giving my physical life for Christ.

I realized that for the past few days I have been really struggling with giving with a heart of pure Christ life love.

The more I honestly look at the depths of my heart the more I see the darkness inside & my desperate need of Jesus daily & even minute by minute.    

In the minutes of my struggle. The Holy Spirit in my head speaks. I hear a calm, very soft whisper:

"Matt, you are learning more of me, just keep loving. The more you love the more of my love I will poor into you. I am all you need."

This is how we know what real love is: Jesus gave his life for us. So we should give our lives for our brothers and sisters. Suppose someone has enough to live and sees a brother or sister in need, but does not help. Then God’s love is not living in that person. 1 John 3:16-17