Tuesday 22 December 2020

Christmas Celebrations

 A week and ½ ago we had the community centre Christmas parity in a ladies car port and on the street. The community centre staff and the church that has been helping for the past few months lead the party in the street. The kids with their parents, grandparents and other others played games, performed dances, played guitar and gave personal life stories. 

Close to the end of our party some of the Thai church volunteers shared a personal story and then the meaning of Christmas to everyone. Once they finished ask if anyone would like to know Jesus personally and become a Christian. A teen girl and 7 adults asked if they could become Christians. It was an exciting day. 

3 days ago the church had their open evening Christmas service and party. 29 people said they wanted to go. So we drove them with a group of parents on scooters ahead of us. The longest service I have ever been (6-10:30pm) but everyone was having a fun time. I have gotten to know the Thai pastor and his wife and they are amazing people. 

For years our community centres focus and purpose has been to love, serve and help people freely, with no hidden agendas. To sponsor education, teach life skills, provide clean water and aid small business to help break the cycle of poverty. This always leads to people eventually asking, why. Why are you doing this?  I share that I love people and enjoy serving them. I also say, I believe it's the purpose God has given me to do? Then they honsstly want to know more about my God because they say their God is veey different from mine. 

I will share that the Thai church in the new year will be continuing the work of the community centre. They already have many people that have been coming to help and lead activities. They shared they wanted to continue the centre and the foundstion leadership thought this was the best time. I honeslty feel it's a gift that the local church wants to continue the community centre. The church has asked me to keep my keys and continue to use the centre's classroom to continue  teaching English to adults in the village. 

In the new year I am sxcited about starting something new.