Tuesday 13 January 2015

Changing Seasons

As I have been spending time thinking deeply with God that it has not only been the changing of the season outside, but also Teresa & I feel that God is changing the season of our lives. We have been in ywam now for 7 years & a lot has changed. Some things have remainder the same, like what we feel we are called to do; to fill in the gaps that others are missing & to walk along side people filling their holes with God's help. For some this is difficult because we do not have a large ministry, mission or something big to show or sell where ever we go. And to be honest there are days when I cry out to God & ask why? because I feel like we are not doing some big thing or think about what "I" need to do to make something happen. 

God is so gracious he wraps his arms around me & shows me a deeper part of his love & says, thanks Matt for being honest with me, for sharing your cares, fears, worries & weakness.  "Give your worries to the Lord, and he will take care of you. He will never let good people down." Psalm 55:22 NCV Then He usually responds "I love you, I will take care of you & I have promised to take care of all your needs. Do not worry." (Matthew 6:25-34)

God has shown me that I am not 20 any longer, I am almost 40. I cannot do the things I used to & need to take care of my body, mind & soul. I realized that I cannot burn the candle at both ends & expect to last a long time (as we say in the West.) I am cycling to the community centre 10km's three times a week & I am learning to have a hobby or 2. "You should know that your body is a temple for the Holy Spirit who is in you. You have received the Holy Spirit from God. So you do not belong to yourselves, because you were bought by God for a price. So honour God with your bodies." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 NCV

The visa we have allows me to serve poor Thai kids in a little local inner city community centre 3 days a week. The kids ages range from 3-12 years old. Most of the kids are 3-7 years old. Some do not have parents & are cared for by their elderly grandparents or are cared for by parents that are busy for many reasons, but most are not raised. They have no boundaries, rules or protection. I have already experienced the tiring task of picking children off the table, saying "no" & placing them on a chair 10's of times in a matter of minutes. I have also experienced the hugs from the little boys & girls who just want a hug from someone who cares for them or to wipe tears from their cheek when they hurt themselves. 

The other times during the week I am free to serve in other areas God asks. This is the real change for Teresa & I. Many people have come to us asking us together & individually to talk with, listen to, pray with, to pray for & to share our lives (our journey's, lessons, how we have been changed by God & what we have learned from him) to help them with the journey they are on. Some are younger while others older. Some journeys are shorter while others much longer than ours. Both Teresa & I feel like God wants us to be sensitive to his voice as we are walking. To come alongside God's people to encourage, build up, pray for & care for them then to move on as God leads.  

I have learned this year especially. My times with God are much simpler. I have a 1 verse thought for the day & my Bible (a modern day English version in very simple English NCV). I used to think that in the complicated (many commentaries, dictionaries, encyclopedias, & books with peoples conclusions) God would show me the profoundness of himself. But I have realized only this year that in the simplicity of God does he show me the profoundness of himself. 

I have also realized that the older I get the less I speak (James 1:19, 2:17). I have come to the place where I am comfortable to be silent or use few words because I am secure in knowing God's voice is what heals, builds up, frees, restores & encourages, "NOT" mine. 


We have been sensing God's leading for a while now to start a marriage enrichment small group. We want to create an environment for couples to focus on them. The material will share & we will be the place. Please pray for this as we want to have tables, chairs, outdoor lighting & a meal to start each time together.