Tuesday 3 September 2013

Commitment

According to studies Mongolian is more difficult of a language to study & speak. Well for me I can truly say that I do not fit into the studies. This language is so hard. New words (usually 30 a day), every syllable has a different tone & today 11 short conversations to practice.

I study in class one on one with the Thai language school director for 2 hours. Then 2-4 hours of study at home. My instructor said today that I need to make my studies out of class 3-4 hours each day.

The sermon this past week was on David's courage, commitment & unwavering faith as he prepared & fought Goliath. He shared about missionary family in China who prayed for years to be used by God in prisons in a mighty way. The Chinese wife/mother was arrested for preaching in front of the police station. She was taken, beaten, raped & thrown into prison. She praised God because He answered their prayer & was now in the prison she wanted to minister in.

She preached as much as she possibly could & years later the entire prison & many of the guards became believers. Her husband & children prayed for her at home all the years she was in prison & they were amazed how God used their wife/mother.

Stories like these of the many many Christian's in Asia humble me. These men, women, boys & girls of great courage bring me to my knees. I only have 2 years of struggling with learning Thai & building relationships with the so many Thai's here that are seeking Buddha as their god & do not have peace in their hearts. I pray that I will have the courage to walk in the never ending faithfulness of the eternal God.

The part of Scripture that God keeps giving me over & over again is:

14-16 "Still later, as the Eleven were eating supper, he appeared and took them to task most severely for their stubborn unbelief, refusing to believe those who had seen him raised up. Then he said, “Go into the world. Go everywhere and announce the Message of God’s good news to one and all. Whoever believes and is baptized is saved; whoever refuses to believe is damned.
17-18 “These are some of the signs that will accompany believers: They will throw out demons in my name, they will speak in new tongues, they will take snakes in their hands, they will drink poison and not be hurt, they will lay hands on the sick and make them well.”
Mark 16:14-18 (The Message)

Please pray for:
1. All of us adjusting to live here
2. My (Matt) Thai language, to pray for Thai's & the opportunity to relationship with locals (my school director, our landlady, our community Thai security guards, the rice farmers, etc...)
3. Esme adjusting to the heavy school homework
4. Teresa, to be patient & receive from God what he has for her now.
5. Kiel, to continue to adjust, learn, & serve others here; this new place God has us.